Farmers Co-Op Co recently issued the following announcement.
The crews are getting out their sweatshirts and jeans; it really feels like fall this week. While the Iowa ground temperatures may look fit for NH3 application, we encourage growers to wait out this cold spell a bit to ensure we remain in a downward trend on soil temperatures. An uptick in soil temperatures post-application means a loss in your NH3 investment. Let’s monitor this weather pattern a little longer.
- A nutrient budget for nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium shall be developed that considers all potential sources of nutrients including manure, legumes, etc. Nutrient recommendations shall be based on current soil test results, realistic yield goals, environmental impact and producer management capabilities.
- Use the standardized county temperature and forecast maps found at http://extension.agron.iastate.edu/NPKnowledge/ as part of the decision-making process for fall fertilizer application.
- Delay fall anhydrous applications without a nitrification inhibitor until soil temperatures are:
- 50 degrees F, trending lower.
- Notify Association office of start of application for accountability documentation by email record to email@example.com.
- Regardless of time of year application occurs, encourage use of other nutrient management technologies such as stabilizers, slow release fertilizers, incorporation or injection, soil nitrate testing and other technologies that minimize loss to surface or ground water resources.
- If producer is participating with USDA Conservation Programs additional considerations for producer conformance with NRCS 590 Nutrient Management standard shall be followed. For guidance and requirements see standard: Iowa Nutrient Management Conservation Practice Standard Fact Sheet — What's New That Affects You in the Iowa 590 Standard? More information on nutrient management can be found on the NRCS website.
- Encourage use of other supporting practices where feasible:
- Tile line denitrification bioreactor
- Constructed wetland
- Conservation stream buffer and/or saturated buffer strips
- Fall cover cropping system
Original source can be found here.